Thursday, August 22, 2013

Another Excavation Done

Finishing up our excavation in northern Virginia today. When I left, two people were completing the last test unit and the rest were cataloging artifacts. Digging and cataloging will be done today, leaving tomorrow to clean up the site and try to wash the poison ivy residue off all our tools. Monday my crew will move on to another project and I will go back into the office to start writing the report. That's me above getting ready to backfill one of our blocks.

The whole crew, assembled on the site.

This has been a great project, mainly because of all the interesting stone tools. So, a few more pictures. The lovely point above is probably what we call a Halifax, 6,000 to 5,000 years old.

Another Halifax on top; below is a strange thing with a Savannah River base, which would be around 4,500 years old, but a straight-sided blade. Since Savannah River points all have triangular blades, this is either something else, or a straight-sided knife made by somebody who usually made Savannah River points.

A fishtail point. I will miss finding all these great things, and I know my crew will, too. But it is time to move on.

Farewell.

No comments: