Monday, May 14, 2012

ArcelorMittal Orbit Tower

Designed by sculptor Anish Kapoor and structural engineer Cecil Balmond for the Olympic Park in London. They wanted to created a "tower" that was not all vertical thrust, and they turned to the idea of an orbit. Hence all those looping bits.

I think the basic design of this is ok, not beautiful not not terribly offensive, either. Alas, as executed it has a lot of messy features that, to me, undermine the integrity of the thing. I don't like the screens on the walkway or the fuzzy projections (whatever they are) on the observation deck, or various other junky bits that remind me of cell phone antennas on top of skyscrapers. I wonder if it will grow on people, like the Eiffel Tower did, or just get increasingly annoying.

1 comment:

pinkcity Youth said...

This is indeed some weirdest of architectural building. but somehow I like it and would like to know if somebody has more of links and information about world's weirdest architectural buildings!!