Saturday, May 16, 2009

Star Trek

I saw the new Star Trek movie Thursday night. It was entertaining, and I was surprised by the way it ended. But I kept thinking that I had seen everything before. Some of that was because I have seen all the other Star Trek movies, and this movie made allusions to them. But I was more struck by a sense that every action sequence looked like a dozen or a hundred similar scenes from other movies: fight scenes on platforms so the characters can end up hanging from the edge by their fingers, cars that go off cliffs, sparking control panels. Perhaps this is one of the disadvantages of aging, that I have simply seen more movies than there are new ideas for filming them.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

I enjoyed it, but I thought the plotting was really lazy. There are at least three points where the screenwriter obviously threw up his hands and said, "It would be nice if this happened, and I can't think of why it should happen, so it just happens."

Also, this is the first Trek film with a product placement, I believe. (Kirk orders a "Budweiser Classic" in the bar.)