Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Spring in Dupont Circle



It was cool today but sunny, with a brilliant blue sky. I walked around my office enjoying the signs of spring.


This is the Blue Yard, which I have always enjoyed. All the flowers are blue or white, all summer long, and I think this striking color scheme is a nice thing to do with a little, very public yard like this one.

And then there's this:


Since I cannot imagine why anyone would plant orange and mauve pansies under this pink magnolia I assume, as I do with all things I don't understand, that it must be Art. Clearly this installation is a commentary on our social scene. The artist is asking us to remember that although it may be a pink magnolia spring for rich white Democrats, there are others -- auto workers, the poor, the oppressed, the people of Darfur, former Bush administration officials -- for whom life is all tricks and no treats.

No comments: